+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to wrap your parts with carbon fiber vinyl tutorial Wu! Wraps

Track Star WU99WU has a spectacular aura about WU99WU has a spectacular aura about WU99WU's Avatar

Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chats

how to wrap your parts with carbon fiber vinyl tutorial Wu! Wraps

3m di-noc 3m 1080 oracal 970ra etc...

sup sup,

so i thought i'd share some of my tips/techniques with all you guys n everyone online that is interested!

this is a bmw e46 coupe interior trim out of a 2001 bmw m3 hardtop.

this is the tools you need:
    heat gun, rubbing alcohol, squeegie, a 1/4 part of a squeegie(for smaller corners), exacto blade/hobby knife, some sort of pin popper/needle, large scissors, small sharp point scissors, small paint brush(for 3m primer #94), a shammy, and 3m primer #94(mainly for 3m di-noc, you can use it around edges/groves/ares that have dips in them. just remember once you lay the vinyl down on a area that has the 3m primer #94 on it is best if you do not lift it back up/reposition it.)

wrapping the front of your part is pretty straight forward, once you have found your corners, flip it over and start to make relief cuts around the corners of the backside. make sure your cuts don't go toooo close to the edges since sometimes you might cut tooo close and yes, you will see little spots where the material is short on the front side. once your done, it should look something like this.

flip it over and your piece should look something like this.

now use some primer #94 around the edges of the back, don't drench it, it does not need to be.

now heat up the primer #94 so it dries out, you will see it looks a bit tacky, the key here is to make sure it is dry, not still runny. use your brush to brush off any excess primer #94 that might be to heavy.

now heat up your little triangular flaps to make them nice and flat/smooth. the key here is to make sure the vinyl is somewhat warm/soft PRIOR to you just folding them down! i usually go in sections, don't try to heat up the whole thing and just fold all the pieces back at once, the vinyl doesn't stay warm/soft that long and you might not get a nice and smooth fold over the backside if you do this. this is the MAIN step that makes your work a 10 vs. sup par.

bmw e46 interior trim 3m di-noc ca-418 carbon fiber Wu! Wraps 6

some other examples on a more curvy part
    bmw e46 interior trim 3m di-noc ca-418 carbon fiber Wu! Wraps 4
    bmw e46 interior trim 3m di-noc ca-418 carbon fiber Wu! Wraps 3
    bmw e46 interior trim 3m di-noc ca-418 carbon fiber Wu! Wraps 2

and the final results
    bmw e46 interior trim 3m di-noc ca-418 carbon fiber Wu! Wraps 1
    Last edited by WU99WU; 10-17-2011 at 03:27 AM.
    I specialize in Carbon Fiber fabric/ 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber vinyl/ vinyl automotive wraps. I can do full interiors trim pieces/ exterior parts from just about any vehicle!
    Reply With Quote Register To Reply Share with Facebook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WU99WU For This Useful Post:

Nicktorius (10-17-2011), NW07mazdaguy (10-19-2011)

Ninja Modder designmonk has much to be proud of designmonk has much to be proud of designmonk has much to be proud of designmonk has much to be proud of designmonk has much to be proud of designmonk has much to be proud of designmonk has much to be proud of designmonk has much to be proud of designmonk has much to be proud of designmonk's Avatar

Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 726 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 65 Times in 49 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chats
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DevinMonk
    Nice! Great job. Could you do one related to major rounded areas where the material would normally bind or pleat? That is my biggest problem when doing something like the mirror covers.
    Going stocky stocky....

Track Star WU99WU has a spectacular aura about WU99WU has a spectacular aura about WU99WU's Avatar

Thanks
    Groans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chats
    you gotta make sure you get to the edge of the round area by heating it & stretching it around the circular area. then heat/soften the material and pull the exess wrinkles around the back edge of the curved area. then make your triangle relief cuts, lay 3m primer #94, heat up/soften the vinyl and fold over the edge.

the key to wrapping a rounded area is stretching & heating, and getting to the backside.
    I specialize in Carbon Fiber fabric/ 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber vinyl/ vinyl automotive wraps. I can do full interiors trim pieces/ exterior parts from just about any vehicle!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WU99WU For This Useful Post:

NW07mazdaguy (10-19-2011)

Thanks
    Groans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chats
    bmw e81 1-series steering wheel trim wrapped in 3m di-noc ca-421 (black) carbon fiber

sup sup, did this one this morning waiting for my 10am audi job. took like 30min. bmw 1-series steering wheel trim. pretty common for the rubberized finish to peel/chip off on the newer bmw's. dunno why they decided to use this type of material... as you can see once wrapped you can't even tell it was messed up. came out great! this is a out of town job, will be mailing this back & receiving the rest of the interior trim shortly. Wu! Wraps

tools needed:

1 wipe down with rubbing alcohol

2 cut your material

3 wrap the face of it using the heatgun

4 trim out the shape

5 make triangle relief cuts around the edges (flip it over so you can see where mount points & corners/edges are) your not just cutting pointlessly...

6 lay some of your primer #94 around the backside & heat up

7 heat your triangle flaps up in sections and fold over tightly

8 trim out holes for any controls etc... since this piece is so flat by the control module it does not require cutting triangles n folding under the edge. some parts do, you will need to learn this from experiance.

all done!

Track Star project_dog will become famous soon enough project_dog will become famous soon enough project_dog's Avatar

Thanks
    Groans
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chats
    Im thinking of doing my center consul. Would it be easy?

Mazda Born and Raised Francostine is a name known to all Francostine is a name known to all Francostine is a name known to all Francostine is a name known to all Francostine is a name known to all Francostine is a name known to all Francostine's Avatar

Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chats
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Francostine
    looks like you've got a microfibre cloth, and not a chamois(they are made of chemically treated leather)

Thanks
    Groans
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chats
    project dog: send me a pic of the center console n i can give you some pointers on anything i see that could be tricky.

francostine: lol got it!

Mazda Born and Raised Francostine is a name known to all Francostine is a name known to all Francostine is a name known to all Francostine is a name known to all Francostine is a name known to all Francostine is a name known to all Francostine's Avatar

Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 31 Times in 22 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chats
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Francostine
    Quote Originally Posted by WU99WU View Post
    project dog: send me a pic of the center console n i can give you some pointers on anything i see that could be tricky.

francostine: lol got it!
    i didn't mean to come off like an asshole, but i'm just making sure people don't go out and buy a chamois in stead of a microfibre when they DIY...

+ Reply to Thread